The SB-700 is compatible with FX and DX cameras and its fast wireless control will make the flash attractive for a wide range of customers, including advanced photographers seeking to extend their Creative Lighting System. It can act as a master, controlling up to two groups of flashes and their light ratios, and can also act as a remote unit in a flash set up.
With its rotating head and built-in bounce card, the photographer can use the flash to direct the light and bounce it off ceilings or walls. The SB-700 also comes with the practical Nikon Diffusion Dome to soften the light and even the shadows of direct flash.
The flash has a mounting foot lock lever, through which the flash can be securely attached to the camera, preventing it from coming loose. There is also an optional weather-sealed mount available for outdoor photography.
- The new, improved LCD panel interface and an intuitive layout of switches make it quick and easy to set the features.
- With a maximum guide number of 38 (for an FX camera, at the standard illumination setting at ISO 100 at 120mm) the flash is powerful and versatile to suit most lighting conditions.
- The multi-step power zoom automatically responds to the current focal length of the lens attached to the camera and covers angles of view, ranging from 24mm to 120mm.
- Three illumination patterns can quickly be selected to match each shooting situation, making it the ideal flash for a range of scenarios. The Centre-weighted pattern offers more power and higher guide number which highlights the subject from its surroundings. The
- Even setting works well for indoor group shots or a flat surface whilst the Standard setting has a slight emphasis on the centre.
- The high-speed recycling time is only approximately 2.5 seconds with NiMH batteries and alkaline batteries and approximately 3.5 seconds with lithium batteries.
- The quick wireless control mode allows the user to change the light ratios of A and B group Speedlight units and can also act as a remote unit in the Nikon Creative Lighting System.
- The SB-700 automatically detects flash head heat and delays the recycling time if the temperature of the flash head rises, protecting the flash from heat damage.
- The firmware of the flash can easily be updated through Nikon DSLR cameras.
- The SB-700 comes with fluorescent and incandescent hard, plastic-type colour filters, which are more durable, heat-resistant and easier to use than the conventional film-type filters. The flash automatically detects these two hard-type colour filters and instructs the camera to set the optimum colour temperature. The optional colour filter set SJ-4 is also available.